Saturday, April 28, 2007

BEST DAY EVER!!!

Today was really the best day ever!

Today was the SELF magazine workout in the park in balboa park. I've been wanting to go for the past few years, but never been able to convince anyone to join me. This year I REALLY wanted to go, so much that I was considering just going by myself. Initially, I was hesitant, but Ernie convinced me to just do it if I really wanted to (thanks Ernie!). So I signed up, and I am so glad I did.

I looked up the info online to get an idea of what went on during the day. Basically it was workout classes courtesy of CRUNCH Fitness from 11-3pm and free giveaways. (cool with me!) I mapped out which classes I wanted to take so I knew where to go. We were told online to arrive early for breakfast from Kashi. Arrive early I did, because Kashi is totally my favorite food. Ernie was nice enough to drop me off so I didn't have to look for parking (we had a bad experience last weekend trying to go to Earth Day in Balboa Park-drove around for 1.5 hours and never found a spot, so couldn't go!!). I got myself a nice bowl of Kashi cereal and waited in line for the "doors" to open at 11am.

It was madness when they let us in. I laughed because it was "so" a women's event. Women making a beeline to all the freebies, cutting in line, taking more than was allowed per person. I just smiled and casually got all the freebies I could. I was more interested in the classes anyways. (but I DID get some awesome stuff!! lots of 100 calorie packs, Kashi bars, chocolate, crystal light, face lotions, coupons, water, etc.)

11:10 was the first class - Strength and Alignment. It was great! The weather was beautiful so I shed my layers and got to sweatin'. The coolest part about the day was the energy-so many women of different shapes and sizes just letting go and being free together. (there were even a few brave men there with their gals!).

Class 2: Masala Bhangra (dance inspired by traditional Bollywood Indian Dance). This class was awesome! I am totally going to try and take some dance classes after this one. Of course I can't dance, but no one was critiquing! I loved the music and the movements.

Class 3: Buff Yoga - I love yoga, so I was excited about this class. But when I got there I wasn't feeling it. Being outside made me want to jump and dance around not hold poses and breath deeply. So I went back over to the main stage for another class.

Class 4: Cardio Tai Box - this class was fun, and since I didn't go to tkd today it was good to work my punching and kicking muscles. And what a workout!!

Class 5: (drum roll please.....) AWESOME 80s DANCE (this class needs no introduction). what can I say. this class was AWESOME. I had a blast. The instructor was great and the dance we learned was so much fun. again, I can't dance, but I sure tried!!

Class 6: Bikini Body (cardio sculpt class). This was another great one. Definitely worked my "bikini body" zones.

Class 7: Crumpin' and Twerkin' - I thought I'd be totally lame at this class, and I was, but it was still really fun. Made me want to be a dancer. The instructor broke it down nice and slow and we learned a short routine. The best part about this day was I got to do things I'd either never tried, or always been too scared to try. So it was great to just put myself out there and have a good time.

Class 8: Stunts - the instructor taught us some basic moves like dodging and throwing punches and kicks used in movies. Hollywood here I come!

Class 9: World Beat Dance - probably one of the most fun and most challenging because we learned moves inspired by Brasilian Samba. We SURE shook our booties a lot! Although it was one of the hardest things I've ever tried to do with my body, I really want to take some Samba classes.

So there you have it in a nutshell - my best day ever. So what did I learn from this experience? Pretty much if you want to do something, get out there and do it. Don't be afraid to do something on your own. and if you live in the vicinity of San Diego, I'm making you come with me next year!!

3 comments:

Nate, Katey & Gabriel said...

i will drive down there next year for the "AWESOME 80s DANCE" !

Rachel :) said...

YES. i was SO wishing you and Sage were there with me.

Joe Nafziger said...

I'm going to bust your chops for DRIVING to Earth Day! you live right by the park!!! HAHA