Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Capoeira Brasil SD Batizado 2007

This past weekend was the Capoeira Brasil Internal Batizado (just a small batizado for kids and white belts). It was an amazing weekend! I got to see so many awesome capoeiristas play, and we had the BEST workshops! It started on Thursday with a roda. Then Friday was the big day of workshops. I missed the first workshop since I was at work, but I left early in order to make the workshop at 3pm. The first workshop was taught by Instructor Gringo from the group in Houston. He was awesome and had so much energy! The perfect start to the weekend. After a short break we had our next workshop at 5:30 from another instructor. Later that night was our final workshop from capoeira legend, Mestre Jelon. His class was also amazing, and it was great to be in the presence of someone with so much knowledge and experience to offer.

Here's a view of my blistery feet--yuck!

Roda after the workshops.
Saturday was really busy. Not only was it still the batizado weekend, but we were simultaneously fundraising for the non-profit which teaches capoeira in schools to kids. I worked at our booth for a little while, trying to get people to buy raffle tickets for our tree. It was cool, basically you buy a $5 raffle ticket and put it at the booth of your choice. Winner gets everything on the "Tree". We had awesome prizes-Sea World passes, dinner, haircuts, a football signed by 20 Charger's players, a Luis Castillo jersey that would be personalized and signed by Luis Castillo, a free year of capoeira, to name a few. It was fun working at the booth because I also got to see a bunch of little kid Christmas performances on the indoor stage-singing, and dancing-the kids were SO cute!!

Later in the day we performed for the Amazing Race auditions which were taking place in Liberty Station where the studio is. The line was crazy! People camped out the night before just to try and get in! After the performance I met up with Ernie for a late lunch at Panera. He went home soon after because he was sick, and then our workshops started up again. 3pm was another workshop by Professor Gringo. Then later that night was the long awaited Mestre Boneco workshop. It was incredible. Like a cardio kickboxing class on speed. Within minutes we were sweating and hearts pounding-but having a lot of fun.

The night finished late, and I went home to relax and spend time with Ernie while we watched the UFC Ultimate Fighter show championships.

Sunday, after church I quickly changed and went back to Liberty Station to prepare for the batizado. Ernie, Mr. Canto, Alysia and her son Skylar came to watch-my own little fan club. After the kids got their belts it was the adult's turn. I was SO nervous. And it didn't help that I got paired to play with Mestre Boneco. It was an amazing experience and I will never forget it! To top it all off, I got a belt, which I wasn't expecting. Here we are, the group of us with our new belts!

After the blets were given out we formed rodas to play for a little while. Here I am singing and waiting my turn.
Here's some video footage from a roda at one of the workshops. I also have video of the batizado, which I will put up soon!

1 comment:

Mindinho said...

Parabens!You did a great job during the weekend...I'm very happy and proud of you...see you in class!