
Welcome to my classroom. One night a year my school puts on a Multicultural Night event. It begins with 1 hour of food tasting from the different countries. This year we had Ireland, India, Mexico, Russia, Native Americans, China, Sweden, Greece, USA, Italy, and Egypt. My favorites were the Irish bread and the Egyptian cookies (yum yum!) After the food tastings the school is opened for students and parents to visit the different classrooms. Each classroom is transformed to the country they represent. It is incredible the amount of work that goes in to this one night. Each classroom spends the month studying their country and making projects to represent what they have learned.
Allow me to take you on a tour. Here is my painting station. One of my coworkers painted Native American symbols on the student's arms.

This is my book area. These are books about different tribes and Native American legends.

Here are my students' Navajo Sand Paintings. The Navajo believe they can cure the ill.

These are Hopi Kachina dolls. They represent their spirits.

This was a wall of different artifacts and facts about the tribes we studied.

Both third grade classrooms studied Native Americans. My room was day, the other classroom was night. Here is my sun to represent day.

I also made a waterfall with a river of salmon and a field of corn.

Some Native American images.

The Haida made totems to represent their heritage. The students colored these Haida images.

A display of rattles the students made.

Other students made drums.

Here are a few pictures of shelters.

A close up of the Kachinas.

Who's that Spartan in my tepee?

Ernie was a HUGE help decorating the room and providing creative support.

He made me that fire next to the tepee.

More images of my corn field and the river.

The night was a huge success. I had so much help from the parents and Ernie, and of course the amazing projects the students made. They and I were so proud of our classroom.
2 comments:
i LOVE the waterfall and river! So creative.
(And the fire looks awesome, Ernie!)
Rachel,
I absolutely LOVED reading about your multi-cultural night...........
What a creative, fun, delightful teacher you are. I am so impressed!
If you do China next year, let me know how I can help.
:)
Blessings,
Susan Jenkins
Post a Comment