I have a new-found hobby of researching all things Mommy. But that's what I do - when I'm interested in something I immerse myself in it. And since I am a new mom, why not learn about being a mom :)
Through researching breastfeeding, which is ridiculously challenging by the way, I have stumbled on this whole new world of "natural parenting," also called "Attachment Parenting." I don't know much about it, and I won't pretend to, but what I gathered is this: apart from the underlying principles of natural parenting (which I really don't know much about) there are some outward actions parents seem to follow - breastfeeding, babywearing, co-sleeping, cloth diapering, natural childbirth, lots of crafting, alternative education, real food eating, and being green, to name a few.
Well, if you ask me, most days I feel that there is nothing natural about parenting. It is a constant "1 step forward 2 step back" learning process for me. I can confidently say that the only thing natural about parenting for me is that I unconditionally love my little baby girl, Elliana. Aside from that, I think there are some really great things about natural parenting. I don't really like to label what I do, or be part of a label, but I guess some of the things I'm already doing would sort of fit in this parenting style category.
Breastfeeding: doing it. I don't think I could quote LL Cool J and say I'm "doing it well," but I'm doing it.
Babywearing: LOVING IT. I'm wearing Elliana right now. This is my favorite. I'm so in love with babywearing and I think it is amazing. I'm just scratching the surface but hoping to do better. I've got 2 wraps in the Moby Wrap down, working on trying more. I've finally (sort of) conquered my ERGO. I have a new Hava sling on the way, which I'm super jazzed about. My next big goal is to master nursing in a wrap/sling/carrier so I can be more mobile. But for now I'm happy enjoying my fashionable accessory.
| Eating with the Moby |
![]() |
| My Seven Slings sling |
![]() |
| Babywearing Daddy style |
![]() |
| Moby wearing with Elliana's feet out |
| Not "technically" babywearing, but funny! |
Co-sleeping: well, we have an arms reach co-sleeper. I love it. It is so great to have Elliana right there next to us. All I have to do it peek over at her if she stirs. I sleep so soundly knowing she is right there.
Cloth Diapering: we don't. I was way too overwhelmed with it at first and then once we decided to move, it was just too much for me. Although regular diapers aren't much easier. There are WAAAY too many kinds. Now that Elliana has been battling a diaper rash for so long I'm considering the cloth diapers. All I know for sure is I'm not spending a cent until I have a clear plan so that every dime I spend would be well worth it. (Please let me know your ideas on cloth diapering if you have any. I'd really like to save some money and get it started if it is worth it!!)
Natural Childbirth: well, it was my plan - but you know what they say about most plans...
Crafting: you know how I feel about this one. But how to find the time with a little baby? Perhaps I will work hard to combine my love of crafting with my love of babywearing?!!
Alternative Education: As a teacher, I'm all about this. Any way children can learn in the best possible environment for their personality/learning style/needs is A-Ok in my book.
Real Food Eating: Oh, the glories of food. I love food! I love healthy food and I can't wait to get our garden started so I can eat our own food! I am always trying to learn more about eating well and eating "real" foods over processed foods.
Being Green: This is definitely a work in progress, but I am constantly inspired and encouraged by others to live a greener life. I buy local (well, from the local Trader Joe's) and I love Farmer's Markets. I know that getting our garden started will be a super fun way to be greener. We use Melaleuca products in our house. I eats lots of green veggies! I choose walking over driving whenever it is appropriate. We are working on reducing our paper waste and now clean with rags. We recycle. I'm working on some recycled crafts with paper towel rolls and food cans.
No matter what you call it, being a parent is hard work, but it is amazing work and I love every minute of it!!





1 comment:
Rachel - this is awesome!!
SO much information, and I love your honesty, and knowing more about what/how you think. :0] As we've discussed, every parent has their own opinions, and every parent is "right" for their lifestyle and their child - good for you for doing things the way YOU think is best, but also being willing to be open to change if you find another thought/method which you hadn't previously considered!
I'm impressed with the co-sleeping (Jordan slept in his own bed from the 1st day we came home from the hsopital, and we LOVED it) & glad you're liking it, but I'm also excited for Ellie to get to sleep someday in her gorgeous room that you've worked so hard on! ;0]
I totally hear ya on the diaper thing -- the ONLY non-cloth diaper that didn't give Jordan a diaper rash were Pampers. It was very frustrating figuring that out!
Parenting IS the hardest (but best) work you'll ever do, and you're absolutely right about the 1 step forward, 2 steps back - just when you've got something figured out, they move on to a new stage that you're clueless about! It's always an adventure.
Good luck in your continuing endeavors to be a "natural" parent... =]
Post a Comment