Sunday, January 09, 2011

Brasil Trip 2010 - São Paulo

Our amazing trip to Brasil began on Tuesday, December 14. Well, if I'm going to be completely accurate, it actually began the weekend prior when we purchased a new suitcase and a various list of necessities for ourselves and others to take to Brasil. But, I said December 14 because that's the day we packed. We decided to take our 2 large suitcases (one new) and new small rolling carry-on suitcase. I would take a backpack and the rolling carry-on, Ernie would take a backpack and a garment bag filled with our fancy clothes for the cruise. We got all the bags packs and weighed and felt set for the trip. Sadly, we had to work on the 15th, so we went to bed.

Our plan was to leave the next day at 6pm after traffic. I say "the plan," because somehow our bags gained some weight overnight, so we had to do some last minute repacking. I ALWAYS over pack, but I'd rather have too much than forget something.


We made it into the car only 40 minutes past our schedule and headed to LA. The Banihashami's (Ashkon's family). They live only 20 minutes from LAX and graciously offered to feed us dinner and watch our car while we were gone. We arrived to the airport a little after 10pm to get settled in before our 1am flight. We had a minor scare when the ticket agent misread my Brasilian visa and said I couldn't travel (he was reading the issue date, not the expiration date) but all was well with the weight of our bags since we were allowed 70 pounds each, not the 50 pounds we thought.


Our flight was stopping in Panama, so many of the people in the waiting area were speaking Spanish. I figured it was a good way to start getting ready for Portuguese. We boarded an hour or so later and I finally felt like vacation had begun when I buckled my seat belt.

We got a great view of Panama as we landed and I was hoping to see the Panama Canal. We looked up the location of it later and it is about 55 miles from Tocumen Int. Airport, so we didn't see it.
Our flight to São Paulo was delayed because someone on the flight before us left their bag on the plane. The plane had to be inspected by the police and police dog. We had another hiccup when the flight staff made an announcement that the carry-on allotment had changed from 2 to 1. We went to the counter to ask them to specify, and they said one bag up top and one below. That was what we had, so we didn't worry. However, when we tried to get on the plane, the wouldn't let me take the rolling suitcase because they said my backpack wouldn't fit under the seat. I tried to reason with them that I had just gotten off the plane with my backpack under the seat, but they wouldn't have it. I didn't want to check that bag because I had filled it with valuables, but there was no getting around it. I checked the bag and boarded the flight. 

We arrived to São Paulo, Guarulhos  airport on December 16th an hour late. Renato and Claudia were there to meet us. They took us back to their new house in Aruja and we hung out late watching the last WEC mixed martial arts event.

Apparently our bodies were rejecting the time change, because we slept the next day until 2pm!! oops. Renato made us Churrasco. We ate chicken hearts (a churrasco delicacy), sausage, chicken and steak. Welcome to meat!!

After lunch we took their pit-bull Sunny on a walk around the town. Claudia got home from work later in the evening, then we went out for pizza dinner. Brasilian pizza is the BEST!
On Saturday, we had lunch at the gas station. Sounds funny, but there is a great little Japanese restaurant at the gas station near their house. I had a really delicious salmon plate. Later that day, Renato dropped the 3 of us off at the mall, El Dorado, so Claudia could help me find a bikini. The first store we went to was expensive, and I didn't really like the fit of their bikinis. Next, we went to C & A (sort of like a Walmart or Target). They had a great selection and 2 for 1 mix and match sets!! I got a mix and match set, and some cute sports bras. I also found a beautiful green bikini that Claudia gave me for Christmas! After shopping, we met up with Renato (he was at his school's graduation) and had hamburger dinner at a restaurant where many of his students and fellow teachers were celebrating.

We were sad to have such a short time with Renato and Claudia, but excited to be starting our cruise the next day.

No comments: