Tuesday, January 11, 2011

What's for Dinner?

Well, the past 2 nights at our house it has been Moshu Chicken and Flash-Fried Kale with Peanuts!

Moshu Chicken is one of my family's favorites! I used the recipe from my mom's cookbook, Baby Bear Stew.


Moshu Chicken
2 cups shredded chinese cabbage
1 cup grated carrot
6 green onions sliced thin
1 can bamboo shoots sliced thin (we didn't use these)
1/2 cup mushrooms sliced thin
1 zucchini sliced in thin matchsticks
1 cup bean sprouts
1 can water chestnuts sliced in thin matchsticks
3 TBS each soy and sesame oil
1 TBS sugar
3 chicken breasts
2 TBS oil
2 cloves garlic
6 eggs beaten
1 package rice pancakes or flour tortillas
1 jar Hoisin sauce


Skin, debone and slice the chicken into thin strips. Stir fry in 2 TBS oil and 2 cloves crushed garlic. Remove from wok (I don't have a wok, so I just used a large pan) or fry pan and set aside in a bowl. Add 2 TBS Hoisin sauce to the chicken and stir. Stir fry all remaining vegetables (I recommend having the veggies all chopped and ready before you start to make this step super easy) in the sesame oil, soy and sugar until crisp and tender. Add the chicken to the vegetables and stir together. Scramble the 6 eggs until soft and add to the vegetable-chicken mixture. To serve, warm the rice pancakes or tortillas until warm and place a spoonful of Hoisin sauce down the middle of each pancake and then spoon a generous portion of the stir fry mixture on top of the sauce, add sliced fresh green onions if you desire and roll up like a burrito (oops, totally just realized the green onions were for a garnish...I stir fried them...oh well!).


Disclaimer: Hoisin is not gluten free, in case you needed it to be.
I also found this great Kale recipe in Vegetarian Times. I have never made Kale before, which I find weird since I LOVE healthy food and this one is always at the top of the list. Well, it's a new year, so Kale is in the kitchen!!


Flash-fried Kale with Peanuts


1 8oz bunch curly or Lacinato kale, stems removed (I don't know which kind I used...whatever they had at VONS)
1 TBS canola oil
1 medium carrot, julienned
1 TBS thinly sliced fresh ginger
1 clove garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
2 tsp low-sodium tamari sauce (available gluten-free!)
1 tsp sugar
2 TBS dry-roasted, unsalted peanuts, finely chopped


Stack 4 kale leaves, and roll stack lengthwise into cylinder, then finely slice. Repeat with remaining kale leaves. Heat wok (or pan) over high heat. Add oil and swirl to coat wok. Add kale and carrot, and stir-fry 3 minutes. Add ginger and garlic, stir-fry 15 seconds. Add tamari and sugar, stir-fry 15 seconds more. Serve sprinkled with peanuts.
Hope you enjoy!

No comments: