Monday, January 17, 2011

It's Official...I need more vacation days

Today being MLK day, I had the day off in his honor. I started off the morning listening to his famous "I Have a Dream" speech on the radio. Now THAT was a cool way to start the morning! And the day just kept getting better from there. I drove up early, 6:15am to be exact, to the OC to visit Jess. I spent all morning with Jess and Jorde. Being an aunt is super fun. Jorde is awesome and Jess and JT are amazing parents. It was so cool to see them in action! Jess, Jorde and I went on an adventure to Pretend City!

There was a Curious George exhibit. Jorde called him "Monkey George"
 Baby chicks
 Jorde picked out this car and rode it all over the city
 This spaceship slide was quite the highlight
 weeee!

 Here is Jorde having fun with water. I'm not going to lie...this was my favorite too!
I came home in the afternoon to finish off my vacation day with my main squeeze. We relaxed and finished watching Season 4 of Alias. It is one of our favorite shows so we decided to watch it all the way through again. I love how J.J. Abrams uses a lot of the same actors in his shows. I became a fan of his from Felicity, and a bunch of my favs are in Alias!! Well, to celebrate the end of Season 4 and the start of Season 5 (which we actually have on DVD-so much easier than finding the episodes online) we made cake. Not just any cake--gluten free/dairy free cake. Feast your eyes on this


Sof'ella gluten free cake mix. I used oil instead of butter, keeping it dairy free.

 Homemade frosting from the back of the powdered sugar box. Substituted almond milk for milk, and Imperial for butter. Ok, so I know it doesn't look pretty...but we were really excited about cake, so we didn't let the cake cool before frosting it.
 You might notice that because of our haste, there is no frosting in the middle (see below). Let me assure you, I put a hefty amount of frosting in the middle (see above pictures). It just melted and oozed out the sides. So, although this cake won't win any beauty awards-it "takes the cake" for taste! (Speaking of beauty awards...did you happen to catch the ventriloquist yodeler on Miss America? Me neither. But, I did YouTube it).
A delicious way to end the day.

1 comment:

coryandannie said...

I want a piece of that cake! Yummy! Pretend City sounds like a ton of fun! I don't bake much but when I do I bake with coconut oi1! I'm obsessed with it because it taste good and is really good for you! Are you still going all dairy free? My FatherinLaw got me the babycakes cookbook! Have you heard of it? I know you would love it! If you do find your self with extra vacation days we would lovvvveee to show your around NY! Our guest bed is ready!