Here's another addition of "what's for dinner" at the Spoelhof's. Tonight we made Greek food. Well, sort of. The meal consisted of Trader Joe's Marinated Chipotle Chicken Skewers, Trader Joe's Brown Rice tortillas, Trader Joe's Roasted Red Pepper Hummus and homemade Greek-style rice. I found the rice recipe online at ifood.tv. I've never used that site before, I found it from a Yahoo! search. Here's the recipe:
Greek-Style Rice
Ingredients
1 cup Brown
Rice
2-2/3 cups
water
1 teaspoon
salt
1
tablespoon butter or margarine
2
tablespoons olive oil
2 medium
onions, chopped
1 clove
garlic, minced
1 (10-oz.)
pkg. frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1/2
teaspoon salt
1 medium
tomato, chopped
1
tablespoon lemon juice
1/2
teaspoon grated lemon peel
1 cup
shredded Swiss cheese
How to make Spinach And Brown Rice Greek Style
Cook rice
with water, 1 teaspoon salt and butter or margarine according to package
directions.
Heat oil in a large skillet.
Add onions and garlic.
Cook until onion is tender, but not brown.
Add spinach and salt; stir.
Cook until spinach is tender, about 5 minutes.
Stir in hot cooked rice, tomato, lemon juice and lemon peel.
Heat oil in a large skillet.
Add onions and garlic.
Cook until onion is tender, but not brown.
Add spinach and salt; stir.
Cook until spinach is tender, about 5 minutes.
Stir in hot cooked rice, tomato, lemon juice and lemon peel.
We did things a little differently. We didn't use butter or margarine to cook the rice, but simply cooked the rice in vegetable broth instead of water. We also added kale instead of spinach, which was fantastic! The recipe also called for swiss cheese in the rice, but I deleted that part.
The whole ensemble: rice, tortilla (a substitute for pita), hummus, and skewer.
1 comment:
That food looks amazing! I love what you did with the rice!
love, annie
Post a Comment